Saturday, April 17, 2004

I had quite an experience last night while on my way home from work. On my usual travel network via the Northern Line, along the tunnel before Belsize Park, I could suddenly see and smell smoke coming from the top end of the carriage. As there were 2 coppers in the same coach, my first thought would be to see what they were going to do. Besides, what can you REALLY do when you're travelling in an underground coach and it suddenly catches fire besides praying and thinking of ways to keep breathing normally? Obviously their police radio wouldn't work. For 3 years the authorities had known about it and yet nothing substantial has come from it. Anyway, they tried to use the in-built coach radio to speak to the driver but I don't think they managed to raise him. Well, luckily, we managed to reach Belsize Park after a minute, where most of us hopped off. The 2 coppers tried to walk to the driver to inform him but the driver put the metal to the pedal and left the station within 10 seconds. The ordeal left me thinking 'What a lousy way to go had I died underground' and more concerned about my safety as I travel to work each day. It certainly didn't help the old black lady who was close to passing out! I took a bus home moments later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home